Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Australia Day - Lamington Cupcakes Recipe

Hello world,

Happy Australia Day! Yes it's 26 January again and this time I decided to spread the cheer with these scrumptious lamington cupcakes. A little twist on tradition but still with the essence of Australia wrapped up in them. Mmmm...

Lamington Cupcakes


Ingredients

1 quantity plain/vanilla/butter cake mix (mine used 125g butter, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 cups SR flour, 4 drops vanilla, 1/2 cup milk)

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup water

1/9 cup cocoa

1/2 tsp vanilla

Desiccated coconut

Method

1. Spoon your cake mix into prepared cupcake tray and bake in preheated 180-190°C oven for about 10 minutes - the tops should spring back when touched and be slightly browned. Turn them out on a cake rack and let them cool.

2. Put sugar and water together with sifted cocoa into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to make sure the sugar dissolves.

3. Simmer gently for about 12 minutes without stirring.

4. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir for 1 minute.

5. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool a little (the mixture should thicken up a bit).

6. Dip the top of all your cakes into the icing and set them on the cake rack again to set. While they're doing that, pour some desiccated coconut into a bowl.

7. Dip each of your cupcakes into the icing again, this time rolling them in the desiccated coconut afterwards. Make sure they are nicely covered.

8. Leave then on the cake rack to cool and set.

9. Enjoy!

Lamington Cupcakes


Happy Australia Day everyone,

~Jessica

4 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look amazing!

    Are you from Australia? I recently went there, traveling from Sydney all the way to Caines. I got to see the Great Barrier Reef, and a ton of other cool things. I miss being there, everyone I met was wonderful. (I'll probably stop by your profile to see if you've put up where you are from)

    And no, you don't sounds like an 80 woman in the comment on my page :P You are my first ever follower on blogger! You are following my craft/art account. I found you off of Threadbanger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I am from the great southern land! I live in Wollongong, just over an hour south of Sydney. Your trip sounds great - the QLD coast is beautiful, I wish that I could have been there too. I'm actually thinking of booking a cruise along there, Syd-Bris-Whitsundays-Cairnes (I think) and back.

    You should make some lamington cakes. Be Aussie by correspondence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic cupcakes, I have included them in our 50 colorful cupcake feature on Party Cupcake Ideas. You can see it here under brown. http://partycupcakeideas.com/50-colorful-cupcakes/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the linkage, sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete